- is based on the recommendations of the Expert Advisory Group on AIDS (EAGA) and the Advisory Group on Hepatitis (AGH)
- may be used to produce guidelines for allied occupations, eg those dealing with contaminated equipment who may be exposed to a risk of blood-borne virus (BBV) infection at work
- provides advice on the disposal of clinical waste, and the labelling and transport of specimens that have implications for the safety of others
- covers known BBVs including HIV, hepatitis B virus and hepatitis C virus
- shows the practical advantages in adopting common infection control policies to prevent the transmission of BBVs
- draws on work done by the Advisory Committee on Dangerous Pathogens (ACDP) and the Microbiology Advisory Committee
Closely following the recommendations will provide protection from BBV infection to patients and others in the health care setting.