This is Version 8.3. If you do not see this version when you open the document, please refresh your browser as you may be seeing a previously cached version.
This guidance is to support those working in sampling and laboratory investigations. This guidance covers:
- sample collection for PCR testing
- clinical indications for serology testing
- protocol for reporting SARS-CoV-2 PCR positives during periods of low prevalence
- results of testing
- guidance for microbiologists and virologists
Workforce education information and resources
This is a guidance video which outlines the
correct way to package samples from suspected COVID-19 patients for Category B transport, in line with UN3373 requirements.
Obtaining an upper respiratory tract diagnostic sample
HPS, with support from stakeholders, has produced a short video clip to support colleagues required to obtain an upper respiratory tract diagnostic sample.
This resource describes the techniques involved in
obtaining an upper respiratory tract COVID-19 diagnostic sample and covers the:
- options available in relation to COVID-19-Upper respiratory tract samples
- technique involved in obtaining a nose swab
- technique involved in obtaining a throat swab