HPS has reissued information for the public on
E. coli O157 and other STEC infections.
- What are E. coli O157 and STEC?
- Where is STEC found?
- How can infection be avoided?
Some simple but effective precautions include:
- washing and drying hands thoroughly using running warm water and liquid soap
- minimising contact with animal faeces.
- good food hygiene practices
- not drinking untreated water
For further guidance on avoiding bugs and germs whilst enjoying Scotland’s outdoors see NHS Inform website.