In week 16, the overall assessment remains green (below baseline activity).
- GP consultation rate for influenza-like illness (ILI) remained below the baseline threshold for normal seasonal activity.
- The colour indicator for influenza in closed settings remained green (below baseline activity). Virological detections of influenza in secondary care continue to reduce. A very small number of SARI cases are continuing to be reported however these are retrospective.
- In week 16, no statistically significant all-cause mortality excess was observed. It is difficult to assess the contribution of influenza to the very high* statistically significant excess in all-cause mortality reported in weeks 52, 1 and 2, but ICU mortality due to laboratory confirmed influenza remains below expected seasonal range.
- Influenza vaccination for season 2017/18 is now complete. To week 15, provisional end of season data suggested that vaccine uptake rates overall for Scotland, increased and were similar or greater than those in season 2016/17.
- An increase in community circulation of influenza prompted the issue of a CMO letter in week 50 and the advice that GPs may prescribe antivirals remains in force.